INTERNATIONAL WOMEN’S DAY 2020 BARCELONA: STAND UP AND RAISE YOUR VOICE
International Women’s Day arrives this Sunday, March 8th! As two women, we at Carrers BCN want to encourage all of you to get out and show your support for the women in your life. This should be something that occurs every day, but even more so when the world’s attention is on us. The road towards gender equality is a long one. We’ve travelled a good ways and have made some progress, but there’s still so much more to do and fight for.
To get an idea of where things stand globally, here are some quick facts, courtesy of UN Women:
- – One in every 4 parliament seats is occupied by women
- Work & Business
- – Out of the 500 chief executives leading the highest-grossing firms, just under 7% are women
- Culture & Sciences
- – Of the 900 Nobel Peace Prize Awards that have been given since 1901, only 53 have been women
- – 30% of researchers worldwide and 35% of all students enrolled in STEM-related fields of study are women.
- – A study spanning 20 years and 114 countries has found that only 24% of the people heard, read about or seen in newspaper, television and radio news are women
- – Women make up only 26% of the people in Internet news stories and media news tweets
- – Only 37% of stories are reported by women as of 2015
- – An analysis of popular films across 11 countries found that 31% of all speaking characters were women
- – Only 23% featured a female protagonist
- – Only 21% of filmmakers are women
- – In the 92-year history of the Academy Awards, only one woman has won for Best Director (and there have only been 5 women nominated)
- – In the 72-year history of the Cannes Film Festival, only one woman has won the Top Prize
- – The 2020 Tokyo Olympics is projected to have close to equal representation of women and men competing for the first time in history; only 22 women, or 2.2%, out of a total of 997 athletes competed in the modern Olympics for the first time in 1900
- – Despite progress, women still continue to be excluded in certain sports in parts of the world and are paid far less than men in wages and prize money globally
- – As of 2019, bonuses determined by FIFA for teams participating in the World Cup are as follows: $400 million for men (32 teams) and $30 million for women (24 teams)
- Culinary Arts
- – Today, just under 4% of chefs with three Michelin stars, the highest rating you can get, are women
The progress made is undeniable, but so is the fact that the gender equality gap remains huge. So join us this weekend to show the world that we are stronger together.
While Spain hasn’t declared a general strike in honor of IWD 2020, Catalonia has, despite the fact that it falls on a Sunday.
Barcelona will have two important demonstrations over the weekend. One will be on Saturday night and the other on Sunday afternoon.
2020 BARCELONA 8M DEMONSTRATION
WHEN: Sunday, March 8th, 2020 at 17:00
Route: Plaça Universitat to Passeig de Lluís Companys
- * The day before, Saturday, March 7th, there will be a nighttime demonstration. It will be from 20:00-22:00 at Trinitat Nova.
Before letting you go, we want to leave you with two poems about women by women:
And with that, we encourage you to get out there and celebrate!
HAPPY INTERNATIONAL WOMEN’S DAY!
By EMILY BENSON
Photos by ISABEL TROYA
Leave a Reply