FIRST SHOT OF BCN COFFEE AWARDS DELIVERS DELICIOUS CAFFEINE HIGH
Last weekend, BCN Coffee Guide organized Barcelona’s first ever Coffee Awards at the Nau Bostik cultural center. Its goal: become the go-to event for specialty coffee shops and retailers, baristas, restaurant owners, and small and large roasters in Barcelona; it was also created with coffee lovers in mind, arranging coffee tastings (“cuppings”) and providing the opportunity for them to connect with, and learn from, professionals in the sector.
Over the course of the three-day event, some 3,000 attendees and 30 exhibitors were on hand while virtual reality coffee shows, latte art championships, inspiring talks, master classes, and more activities were held. As an added bonus to all that was on tap, free and unlimited barista-made coffee was available so that you could drink as much as you could handle.
As its name suggests, the weekend was also to highlight the best professionals and businesses in the hospitality and coffee sector by handing out awards, which were not only to recognize outstanding performers but also shine a light on the continuous positive impact the sector has on wider society.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE FIRST EDITION
- World Latte Art Champions Manuela Fensore (2019) and Carmen Clemente (2022) were on hand to show off their latte art skills, teach master classes, and share their infectious energy and passion for coffee.
- Coffee cuppings organized and led by knowledgable and eager coffee professionals who brought coffees from around the world for attendees to smell, taste and talk about.
- High-energy barista competitions live on stage.
- All-you-can-drink, delicious specialty coffee from some of Barcelona’s best coffee roasters.
2022 BCN COFFEE AWARDS WINNERS
- Best Brunch: Oma Bistró
- Best Coffee Shop: Nomad Coffee
- Best Vegan: Neø Coffee House
- Best Coffee Education: Animal Coffee
- Best Social Media: Hidden Coffee Roasters
- Best Design / Packing: Masala Chy (Masala Chy Concentrate)
- Best Service: Hidden Coffee Roasters
- Best Restaurant: Brutal BCN
- Best Bakery: Origo Bakery
- Creative Revelation / Innovation: Dart Caffeine (Coffee Bible)
- Best Barista: Eduard Morella Anglada (Syra Coffee)
- Best Roaster: SloMov
- Best Cocktail Bar: Jekyll & Hyde BCN
If you’re a coffee lover like us but missed out on this year’s awards, keep your eyes peeled for the 2023 edition! We promise that you won’t want to miss it!
In the meantime, check out Barcelona’s extensive, and fast-growing, specialty coffee scene. There are many more fantastic cafés available than what you see on the winners list.
By EMILY BENSON
Photos by ISABEL TROYA